There is no right or wrong way to birth a baby. Couples are faced with many decisions to navigate as they make the best choices for themselves. I believe that childbirth education is profoundly important in helping women and couples explore their options while they prepare for birth and the transition into parenthood. Having access to information is both a right and a responsibility as a new parent. In addition to information, the most valuable thing a woman can bring to birth is trust in her body and the birthing process.
Rather than teach one type of labor support, classes are designed to help couples understand the birth process, while providing information what the evidence shows us about birth . By helping them understand the array of options available and teaching a wide range of coping strategies to help couples have a satisfying birth experience, the goal is to connect parents to their strengths and beliefs about birth. By providing women and partners with a range of evidence-based information, I encourage them to follow their instincts in birth, empowering them to make the choices that are right for their body, their birth and their baby.
Beyond What to Expect When You’re Expecting Classes
I offer both small group classes (no larger than 6 couples) or teach private sessions catering to your specific interests about birth. All of our childbirth education series typically cover:
- Discovering your beliefs about birth
- Third trimester, self-care and complimentary care for pregnancy
- Exercise and nutrition
- Signs of labor
- Phases and stages of labor
- Discover how similar birth is to sex
- You have what you need: discovering your natural pain coping strategies
- Movement and positions for labor
- Massage, rebozo, and acupressure for labor
- The role of the partner and the role of a doula
- Develop excellent communication with your birth team
- Medical technology and interventions: evidence based practices
- Transfer to the hospital (for homebirth only)
- Newborn care: caring for your mammal
- Diapers, baby wearing, crying and comfort
- The postpartum body
- Postpartum relationships, change in identity and sexuality
- Healthy habits for happy relationships
- Transition into parenthood
*this list does not include all information that would be included in a vbac, or refresher class*
3 Hour Workshops
Breastfeeding Basics: This three hour workshop is designed to start you off on steady footing with breastfeeding. We will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology of breastfeeding
- How to know if its working
- Recipe for breastfeeding success
- Common red flags
- Breastfeeding and back to work (pumping and milk storage)
- Emotional highs and lows of breastfeeding
- Local resources
What to Expect When Expecting in Ithaca: This FREE workshop is designed to help you find the care that works best for you. After years of practice, I have summed up that there are 4 things that every pregnant woman needs to know to have a great birth! Come learn what they are!
Developing your Pain Coping Toolbox: You already have what you need to in order to have a baby. REALLY. Birth doesn’t need to be a mystery, scary or traumatic. The body knows what it needs throughout the whole process and put simply: if you can breathe, poop and have a uterus, you can have a baby.
However, we can make it MUCH more enjoyable with a few coping tools. As creatures of habit, women behave how they always have for coping with pain and stress. In addition to learning birth best practices form an experienced doula, this workshop helps you explore your natural and well honed physical and emotional pain coping strategies and apply them to birth.
- Natural methods of coping with physical and emotional stress
- Positions for birth
- Doula Best Practices
- Birth Teams
- Birth Plans
- Coping with detours
Upcoming Classes for 2015/2016
THURSDAY NIGHT SERIES: 6-9pm
January 7th-February 18th (Skipping Feb 11th)
March 3rd- April 7th
May 5th-June 9th
WEEKEND INTENSIVES: 10am-2pm
November 29th, December 6th and 13th
Sundays, March 6th, 13th and March 20th
Sundays, May 22nd, 29th and June 5th
Sunday, November 29th, 3-6pm
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN EXPECTING IN ITHACA
*This is a free workshop!
Thursday November 19th, 6-9pm
DEVELOPING YOUR PAIN COPING TOOLBOX
Sunday, October 25th 1-4pm
Thursday December 10th, 6-9pm
For more information about scheduled classes or private instruction, please contact me, or call: 917-613-7865.
To sign up for classes, click here.